Hello from a rainy chilly day in Shanghai. I couldn't think of a more perfect day to look thru all our warm pictures from Thailand. So first things first I think I need to explain on here how the expat world here in Shanghai works. It seems much to my surprise upon arriving that there are A LOT of " Holidays" or as we call it in the US school breaks. On these Holidays the expats all escape to some place cool to make the most of their experience living abroad. Some people travel every break some opt to stay in Shanghai during some of them and other go home a lot. Since we are so far from home that really isnt a option so we pick to escape to experience some of the awesome places in South East Asia. We have been to Thailand two other times the first to Phuket and the other time quickly to see what the city of Bangkok is all about. We LOVE IT there. The food the people the weather it is all amazing and honestly could go back over and over. We stayed at the JW Marriot in Khao Lak and it didnt disappoint. I am always asked on my instagram account how I handle traveling with small children so I thought I would leave you with my top 5 traveling tips.
1. We try to schedule long flights ( such as our flight to the US from Shanghai ) in the the later afternoon. That way by the time the excitement of the plane ride has worn off and they are sick of their ipad games it is about time for them to go to sleep.
2. Bring activities and lollipops for take off. Usually at takeoff they ask the kids to turn off their ipads which can seem like the end of the world once the kids have their little hands on the magic game machines. I make sure to intercept a tantrum with a lollipop and a new book usually for Pippa ( age 3 ) I do a coloring book and for Kael ( age 5 ) I do a handwriting workbook. I usually bring two different activities one for take off and one for landing.
3. I always bring throw away sippy cups in my carry on bag so when the drink cart comes around I have them pour juice into their cups that way we dont have to deal with the spills that come with the flimsy little plastic cups they provide.
4. If we are doing a long international flight I bring Pajamas on the flight and
have the kids change into them when it is around their bedtime I do the whole routine brush their teeth read a book and then turn off their overhead lights and say OK it is time for bed and then silently pray to baby Jesus that they go to sleep
5. Last and certainly not least I will share with you my secret I take with my on all plane rides. It is top secret so I don't share it with too many people. OK here goes.. the plane lands eventually. Yup thats it that is what I repeat to myself over and over once I start feeling anxious about the kids behavior. This will be over soon and it will be all worth it once we land in our destination.